Commissioner Donelon and LATIFPA are offering motorists the following additional tips for vehicle crime prevention:
- Remove your keys from the ignition upon leaving the vehicle and never leave your car’s engine running unattended, not even in your driveway or for a quick errand.
- Close your windows completely.
- Park in well-lit lots and garages that have security and/or parking lot attendants. Avoid parking near dumpsters, large vans or trucks, woods, or anything else that limits your visibility.
- Never hide a second set of keys anywhere on your car. Thieves know where all of the “hiding places” are.
- Don’t park in the farthest corner of the lot, but rather near the entrance of a facility to insure the most foot traffic and the most potential witnesses.
- Park with the wheels turned toward the curb, even when parking in driveways and parking lots. This makes your vehicle difficult to tow.